The future of women and families in Edmonton will require the commitment to positive social change from future generations. YWCA Edmonton believes that within each girl beats the heart of a change-maker. We are committed to encouraging, supporting, and celebrating the future women leaders of Edmonton.
GirlSpace is a program by YWCA Edmonton, offered in partnership with other agencies, that's led by young women and focused on the healthy development and success of female youth. Participants are exposed to role models and positive messaging about being a woman while gaining skills to address various issues they will face as girls and young women, such as body image, healthy relationships, and violence.
GirlSpace provides opportunities to:
- build skills, including leadership, teamwork, communication, and critical thinking.
- foster girls’ resilience, autonomy, social connectedness, self-awareness, and self-esteem.
- increase awareness of key social issues and provide a space to talk, listen, and share strategies and resources for coping and overcoming them.
- work collaboratively with other girls to develop a gender-specific space in which everyone is respected and feels welcome.
- connect participants to their community by empowering them to engage in community action and improve girls’ awareness of and ability to access resources in their communities.
Who can attend:
Girls ages 11-18 years (Facilitators will tailor the program material to participants according to age, maturity level, and group size.)
Calendar school year for 20 weeks, starting in mid-September 2017 and ending in February 2018
Stay tuned as we continute to release new locations in the coming weeks!
- YWCA Edmonton Office (400, 10080 Jasper Ave.)
- Lillian Osbourne High School (2019 Leger Rd.)
- Londonderry Junior High School (7104 144 Ave.)
- Jasper Place High School (8950 163 St.)
- $200 (based on $10 per week over 20 weeks; subsidies available)
- $130 to attend a Camp Yowochas Retreat
How to sign up:
For further information or to register for the program, please contact either:
Wendy Salvisberg, M.Sc.
Registered Provisional Psychologist
Manager of Youth Programming
Email | email@example.com
Phone | 780-423-9922 Ext 306
Ashley Lim, R. Psych
Director of Counselling Services & Youth Leadership Programs
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone | 780-423-9922 Ext 292