We believe that within each girl beats the heart of a change-maker. We are committed to encouraging, supporting, and celebrating the future women leaders of Edmonton through our Girls' Programs.
GirlSpace® is an after-school program that runs from September to February for 20 weeks of the school year. It's open to anyone who identifies as a girl between the ages of 11-18 years old. Using a research-based curriculum, groups meet weekly to discuss and learn how to:
- Reduce the risk of violence in girls' lives
- Improve girls' health and well-being; and
- Set the stage for girls' development into strong, healthy, and empowered young women.
Registration for the 2017-18 program year is currently closed.
Watch for more information on the next registration period in Fall 2018.
Is your school interested in hosting a GirlSpace program? Let us know!
Girls Counselling Group
The Girls Counselling Group is a low-cost program for 14 to16 year old girls. (*Girls outside of this age may be considered.) The group provides a safe place to receive support, ask important questions, and engage in discussion about girl-specific topics.
Girls in this group will:
- Experience a trusting, respectful, and safe environment where they can support one another and receive support from a mental health professional;
- Develop ways of coping with life to ease the transition from adolescence to adulthood;
- Work with other girls to develop a space in which everyone is welcome and respected; and
- Learn, grow, and share in a nonjudgmental environment supported by professional staff and volunteers.
Schedule & location
The group runs weekly on Thursdays from 4:30 to 6 p.m. at YWCA Edmonton.
How to sign up
Please fill out our registration form, and submit it to Wendy or Ashley at the contact information below. A screening interview and parent/guardian consent is required.
For more information, contact:
Wendy Salvisberg, M.Sc.
Registered Provisional Psychologist
Manager of Youth Programming
Email | email@example.com
Phone | 780-423-9922 Ext 306
Ashley Lim, R. Psych
Director of Counselling Services & Youth Leadership Programs
Email | firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone | 780-423-9922 Ext 292